American Flag Raw Cake
Courtesy of Beautiful On Raw
Yield: 12 portions
More recipes in category Dessert
* Hover the stars to rate this recipe
Summer berries are here, and so is Independence Day! You won’t feel guilty bringing this type of cake to the 4th of July potluck: it’s raw, sugar-free and abundant in berries.DIRECTIONS
Ingredients for the crust:
- 3 cups walnuts, soaked overnight and dehydrated for 1 hour
- ½ cup raw carob powder
- 7 Medjool dates, soaked for 1-2 hours, depitted and cut into pieces
- ¼ tsp. Celtic sea salt
- dash of vanilla or seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 1/8 cup water, reserved from soaked dates
Ingredients for the filling:
- 4 frozen bananas, cut into chunks
- 2 cups strawberries, cut into pieces
Ingredients for the topping:
- 2 cups nuts, such as macadamia, cashews, pine nuts, or a mix, soaked for 2 hrs. and rinsed
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbs. water from soaked dates
To decorate the cake in the form of the American flag:
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut (background)
- blueberries (for blue sky)
- raspberries (for red stripes)
- bananas (for stars).
Crust. Process all the ingredients in a food processor, until the mixture sticks together when pinched between your fingers. Spread the crust on the bottom of a Pyrex dish (13x9x2 inches) with the help of your fingers.
Filling. Blend bananas and strawberries in a food processor until well blended. Spread the filling over the crust evenly. Place the dish into the freezer for about 45-60 min. until the top layer becomes more solid.
Topping. Combine the topping ingredients in a high-speed blender, and blend until thoroughly blended. Spread the topping evenly and gently over the filling, using your fingers or a spoon, and sprinkle with coconut flakes.
Decorate the cake with berries, using a small star-shaped cookie cutter for banana stars.