Healthy Whole Wheat Sandwich
Courtesy of Beautiful on Raw
Yield: 3 portions
More recipes in category Main Course
* Hover the stars to rate this recipe
If you feel you prefer something substantial for your meal, there is always a sandwich to fill that need – and yes, you can make it raw!DIRECTIONS
Ingredients for bread slices:
- 2 cups of wheat berries to sprout
- 2 cups total of sunflower and pumpkin seeds, mixed in any proportion you like
- 1 Tbs. of dulse flakes or kelp granules
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. Celtic sea salt
- 2 tsp. fresh dill
Ingredients for the soft “cheese”:
- 1 cup almond pulp, left over from making almond milk
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¾ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbs. fresh dill
- ½ tsp. Celtic sea salt
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbs. water
Ingredients for the toppings:
- Leaf lettuce
- Red onions
- Fresh herbs
- Raw sauerkraut
- Start by soaking and sprouting the wheat berries until the grain produces 2-3 mm sprouts.
- Place the sprouted wheat in a food processor and pulse to create a homogenous mixture, using the spatula to scrape the sides as needed.
- Add seeds, kelp or dulse, and continue to blend until well mixed.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and mix in the onions, dill and salt.
- Place onto parchment covered dehydrator sheets, forming 6 pieces of bread with the help of the spatula, and dehydrate at 105 F for about 13-15 hours, flipping the slices midway directly onto mesh trays.
- For the “cheese” spread, combine all the soft cheese ingredients in a food processor, and process with an S-shaped blade, scraping the sides with a spatula, until well blended.
- To make a sandwich, spread the cheese onto 2 pieces of bread, top one of them with lettuce leaf, tomato, onion slices, herbs, sprouts or sauerkraut. Place the 2nd piece of bread on top. Serve with love.
Preparation time: 1 hour plus sprouting, dehydrating and assembling time. Makes 3 sandwiches.