American Flag Raw Cake
Summer berries are here, and so is Independence Day! You won’t feel guilty bringing this type of cake to the 4th of July potluck: it’s raw, sugar-free and abundant in berries.
Ingredients for the crust:
- 3 cups walnuts, soaked overnight and dehydrated for 1 hour
- ½ cup raw carob powder
- 7 Medjool dates, soaked for 1-2 hours, depitted and cut into pieces
- ¼ tsp. Celtic sea salt
- dash of vanilla or seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 1/8 cup water, reserved from soaked dates
Ingredients for the filling:
- 4 frozen bananas, cut into chunks
- 2 cups strawberries, cut into pieces
Ingredients for the topping:
- 2 cups nuts, such as macadamia, cashews, pine nuts, or a mix, soaked for 2 hrs. and rinsed
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbs. water from soaked dates
To decorate the cake in the form of the American flag:
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut (background)
- blueberries (for blue sky)
- raspberries (for red stripes)
- bananas (for stars).
Crust. Process all the ingredients in a food processor, until the mixture sticks together when pinched between your fingers. Spread the crust on the bottom of a Pyrex dish (13x9x2 inches) with the help of your fingers.
Filling. Blend bananas and strawberries in a food processor until well blended. Spread the filling over the crust evenly. Place the dish into the freezer for about 45-60 min. until the top layer becomes more solid.
Topping. Combine the topping ingredients in a high-speed blender, and blend until thoroughly blended. Spread the topping evenly and gently over the filling, using your fingers or a spoon, and sprinkle with coconut flakes.
Decorate the cake with berries, using a small star-shaped cookie cutter for banana stars.