Lentil Patties with Cucumber Dill Sauce
These two recipes are rather versatile. Try crackers or “meat” balls instead of patties. Use the sauce as a salad dressing, dip for crackers and crudités, or as a sauce for lettuce wraps.
Lentil Patties Ingredients:
- 1 cup sprouted green lentils
- 2 cups leftover pulp from juicing carrots, celery, and greens (if not available, use 2 cups of any mild-tasting finely chopped or grated vegetables)
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup golden flax seeds, ground in a coffee grinder
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- ¼ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 3 tsp. lemon juice
- 2-3 tsp. honey
Sprout about ½ cup lentils by first soaking them overnight, then sprouting for 24 hours. Use 1 cup of the sprouted lentils for the recipe. Combine the sprouted lentils, pulp and water in a food processor and blend together. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend well again. Taste the mix and adjust the seasoning if needed: it has to taste good. Form small patties on the Teflex sheets in the dehydrator, about ¼ in. thick and 2 in. in diameter. You can use a round cookie cutter to make the edges look smooth. Dehydrate for 5 hrs. at 105 degrees F, then flip over onto the mesh dehydrator trays and dehydrate for another 3-4 hrs. The end product should remain soft inside. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Serve with Cucumber Dill Sauce (below).
Cucumber Dill Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cup macadamia nuts, soaked for 2 hrs.
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups cucumber, peeled and cut into pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 2 Tbs. cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (if you like your sauce a little spicy)
Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender, and transfer to a bowl.
Note: preparation time is about 1 hour, plus soaking, sprouting, and dehydrating time.