The Middle Eastern dip and spread Baba Ghanoush is traditionally made with baked or roasted eggplant, garlic and olive oil. Many countries have their own variations of this dish. Here’s the raw food version, with the eggplant uncooked, of course.
Recipe Servings: 3
Recipe Total Time: 15
- 1 medium size eggplant, thinly sliced (you can try peeling the eggplant as well)
- juice of 1 lemon for soaking plus juice of ½ lemon for seasoning
- ½ tsp. Celtic sea salt for soaking plus ½ tsp. for seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1/3 cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup raw sesame tahini
- ¼ cup red onions, finely chopped
- 2-3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil (optional)
Place sliced eggplant in a bowl of water with salt and lemon juice to soak overnight. Drain. Place it in a food processor together with garlic, cumin, lemon juice and salt. Transfer to a bowl, add chopped parsley, onions, tahini, oil, adjust salt and mix well. Serve with crackers or vegetable crudités.
Note: Preparation time is 15 minutes plus soaking time