Courtesy of Mimi Kirk
Yield: 6 portions
More recipes in category Main Course
* Hover the stars to rate this recipe
The recipe is easy to make, and it goes together quicker than it looks so please don’t let the list of ingredients put you off. This is a delicious dish and well worth making. For best results, plan this dish a couple days ahead so the cheese can ferment. Recipe generously submitted by Mimi Kirk of youngonrawfood.comDIRECTIONS
- 3–4 large, wide zucchinis
- 2 cups cashews, soaked for 4 hours
- 1 teaspoon probiotic powder (to help fermenting and curing process)
- 3 tablespoon of nutritional yeast (not raw but good source of B12)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- A good pinch or two of Himalayan sea salt
- Filtered water as needed—approximately ¾ cup
- 2 cups basil, tightly packed
- 1–2 cloves garlic, cut in half
- ½ cup walnuts or pine nuts, or ¼ cup of each
- Approximately 2–3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- Generous pinch or two of Himalayan salt
- 2 cups tomatoes cut into quarters
- 1 ½ cups sun-dried tomatoes, soaked for 1 hour or until soft
- 2 cloves garlic, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari, nama shoyu, or Bragg’s
- 1 ½ tablespoons of Italian herbs, consisting of thyme, rosemary, basil, marjoram and oregano
- Good pinch or two of Himalayan salt
- Freshly milled pepper
- If you like a little spice, add a pinch of dried chilies or a tiny piece of chopped jalapeño pepper.
- 1 cup raw black or green olives sliced and ½ cup capers. Set aside for assembly.
- 1 cup thinly sliced baby bella (Portobello) mushrooms, marinated in tamari and olive oil for 10-15 minutes.
- Choose a large baking dish or individual dishes for each person. Place a thin layer of red sauce on the bottom of the dish. For large baking dish, cover sauce with approximately 6 strips of sliced zucchini noodles, slightly overlapping. For individual servings lay 2 wide strips on bottom to cover the sauce. Place side by side slightly overlapping.
- Top with dollops of cheese to cover the noodles.
- Place second layer of overlapped noodles on top of cheese and press down lightly. Sprinkle raw sliced black olives and capers on the top of the second layer.
- Place a third layer of noodles on top of the olive caper layer and cover the layer with pesto. Place marinated mushrooms on top of the pesto.
- Place a fourth layer of noodles on top of the pesto, mushroom layer and lightly press down. Cover this layer with a generous amount of red sauce.
- To top the lasagna, cut 1½ cups heirloom cherry tomatoes in half. Marinate for 15 minutes in 1 clove crushed garlic, a few dashes of olive oil, ribbon-cut basil, salt and pepper, and mix lightly to incorporate flavors. Place mixture on top of the lasagna with extra sliced basil.