Inspired by my recent travels, the traditional Greek appetizer offered here has been adapted for the raw food diet. It is not only delicious, but versatile as well: eat as a meal, spread on crackers, or use as a veggie dip.
Recipe Servings: 3
Recipe Total Time: 20
- 1 English cucumber or 2 smaller ones, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ and ¼ tsp. Celtic sea salt
- ½ tsp. apple cider vinegar and 2 tsp. for yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. first cold pressed olive oil, optional
- 1 cup of young coconut “meat”
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked overnight
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup + 3 Tbsp. coconut water
To prepare the yogurt, put coconut meat, sunflower seeds, lemon juice, 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar and ½ tsp. salt and coconut water in a blender, adding more coconut water if needed to get the blades going, and blend on high until the mixture reaches a yogurt consistency. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Grate the cucumbers, add ¼ tsp. salt, and squeeze the water out, using a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth. Place in a bowl, stir in minced garlic, add 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar, olive oil and the yogurt. Mix everything together with a fork, chill if desired and serve.