Portobello Open Sandwiches
Portobello mushrooms never fail to give us the “grounded” feeling we sometimes seek, and their earthy flavor reminds us that spring is on its way.
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 3/4 cup pine nuts, unsoaked
- juice of 1 lemon plus separate 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. Celtic sea salt
- tiny pinch red Chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 tomato, sliced
- ¼ cup alfalfa or any sprouts of your choice
- a few basil leaves
- young greens for serving
Clean the mushroom caps and turn them upside down. Pour juice of one lemon over them and set aside. Place pine nuts, garlic, 2 Tbs. lemon juice, salt, water and pepper flakes into a blender, and blend on high until you get a creamy mix. Spread it over the mushroom caps. Arrange tomato slices and basil leaves on top of your sandwiches, and serve over a bed of greens.