Want to Look Good in Your 50s? Do These 5 Things Now…
But why should you listen to me to begin with?
I’m 60 now. While in my 50s, people were constantly complimenting me on my complexion. They still do—even more enthusiastically. Occasionally, while we are talking, a woman will touch my face. Sigh… your skin is flawless.
It makes sense to learn from people who have what you want. I do know how a person can look good in their 50s and 60s… so come along for the ride, won’t you?
I started caring for my skin early in life. Here’s what I did…
1. I always slept on my back. I can hear you saying now… “Huh? What’s that got to do with the sort of face you’ll have in your 50s?” Lots. Every time you sleep on your side you cause your face to wrinkle. It wrinkles even worse when you sleep on your stomach. When you’re young, your skin is supple and firm, so you won’t see these effects right away. But keep doing it for decades and by your 50s, to your amazement, all these wrinkles will show clearly on your face. More information in What is the Best Way to Sleep.
2. Your eyes stand out on your face. People look into them as they meet you. Eye bags will steal your attractiveness once you reach your 50s. Many people get eye bags and wrinkles under their eyes in their 30s. When I was 25, I began wearing paper tape under my eyes at night. Not the best solution—it can come off while you sleep, or leave red skin underneath when you peel it off. Thank goodness we now have special under-eye patches. Bamboo Charcoal Under-Eye Patches work wonderfully! Wear them every night and start now – the sooner the better. The forehead patch I began wearing later in life (in my early 50s) so I had to wear it even during the day. How I wished I had started earlier. Correction is always harder than prevention.
3. If you know me at all, you know I’m going to preach this one loud and clear… Eat as many raw fruits and vegetables as possible! Begin daily juicing. No frozen, second-day, or canned juice! Freshly squeezed only, and drink it within 15 minutes of preparing it. This practice will ensure pimples, blackheads, whiteheads, and other nasty blemishes won’t appear on your face. Without cleansing your skin from the inside, you can’t do the next two steps, which are essential for achieving and maintaining a fabulous complexion!
4. I started using a daily clay mask in my late 20s/early 30s. A daily mask is a must for a glowing complexion. To make a real difference, you need to apply it every morning. This will keep your skin clear, evenly-toned, with small pores.
5. Dry-brush your face every morning. Dry brushing will make your skin stand out. With daily brushing, your skin will acquire that coveted glowing porcelain look. I’ve been dry brushing my face for more than 10 years, and my complexion is better now than in my 20s.
Here’s an email I received recently:
I’ve read your articles [on crepey skin.] However [they say] at the end that “when it comes to crepey skin, prevention is key” and [talk about] “good preventative
measures”, etc. However, my concern is that I am now past all those “preventative” stages at 65 with crepey skin. I don’t smoke, drink or [indulge] any other
bad habits. I’ve quit sugar and wheat and drink lots of good spring water during the day. I have converted to raw foods and love this, but feel I need other ‘desperate measures’ to reverse this condition. If you can send me any more tips or advice to correct this, I would be forever in your debt.
My correspondent is doing all the right things, still she feels it’s not enough. It’s true that the earlier your start some “beauty” measures, the better you’ll look later in life. But does it mean if you are in your 50s or 60s, you missed the boat? Of course not! It’s never too later to be preventative. You do want to live to be 80 and beyond, don’t you? Remember: what you do in your 50s and 60s is prevention for your 80s and 90s. As a woman, whatever your age, you’ll always want to look good. And the best advice for those who haven’t started yet is always, always, always… Start now.